Cerebral Palsy Sport
Cerebral Palsy Sport is the country’s leading national disability sports charity supporting people with cerebral palsy to reach their sporting potential and putting people with cerebral palsy and their families at the heart of everything we do.
- Our vision is to support people with cerebral palsy to reach their life potential through sport and active recreation.
- Our mission is to improve quality of life for people with cerebral palsy and other physical disabilities through sport, physical activity and active recreation.
- Our aim is to raise aspirations, promote inclusion and support people with cerebral palsy and other disabilities to play, participate and enjoy sport and active recreation.
The range of disabilities that our services cover are children, young people and adults with cerebral palsy and all related neurological conditions.
Cerebral Palsy Sport provides sports opportunities for people with cerebral palsy, individuals with neurological impairment with a motor control impairment of a cerebral nature causing a permanent and verifiable Activity Limitation.
The scope of our work covers people with:
- Hypertonia (high muscle tone);
- Spasticity (velocity-dependent resistance of a muscle to stretch);
- Dystonia (Dystonia is an involuntary alteration in the pattern of muscle activation during voluntary movement or maintenance of posture - Sustained or intermittent Muscle contractions.
- Rigidity: (Rigidity is resistance to Passive movement and is independent of posture and speed of movement. rigidity is not specific to particular tasks or postures.)
- Ataxia (Control of movement)
- Athetosis/Chorea (Involuntary contractions of muscles)
These impairment types are associated with a range of conditions including, but not limited to, cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, stroke, Friedreich’s Ataxia, Spino-cerebellar Ataxia, Hereditary Spastic Diplegia/Paraplegia, and Dystonia.
We achieve this through providing disability sports, such as football, swimming, athletics, bowls, table cricket and through our adapted sports of RaceRunning, Frame Football and Touch Golf. We also offer expert, specialist support to parents, support workers, teachers, coaches, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, sport providers and other professionals on how to adapt sports for people with cerebral palsy.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org 0115 925 7027